There are 2 different ways to benefit from cover depending on your age and driving experience.
A telematics insurance app
- Main driver aged 19-24 - must have held a full driving licence for 2 or more years
- Named drivers aged 21-80 – must have held a full driving licence for 1 or more years
The Volkswagen Insurance Telematics app must be downloaded by all drivers to their smartphone (available on iOS and Android) and
remain paired with your new up! beats Bluetooth within 24 hours of the start date of your Volkswagen motor insurance
- All drivers aged 25-80 – must have held a full driving licence for 1 or more years
Telematics – helping to keep you safe
Using the latest telematics technology, the Volkswagen Insurance Telematics app will monitor your driving style, including speed, smoothness and usage.
Using this information, we will alert you to any instances of speeding and give you the opportunity to change your driving behaviour. In the event of persistent and excessive speeding your policy may be cancelled. More details and the full cancellation terms and conditions can be found in your Cover Booklet.
Terms and Conditions
Available on all qualifying new Volkswagen up! beats ordered from 21st July 2016 to 31st December 2016 and
registered by 30th April 2017 for residents of England, Scotland and Wales only.
- Cover excludes driving other cars
- Standard excess for telematics device and app: £150 for accidental damage, fire and theft claims in addition to the following young driver excess: £300 for drivers aged 19-20, £200 for drivers aged 21-24
- Standard excess for non-telematics: £250 for accidental damage, fire and theft claims
- Use Social, Domestic, Pleasure & Commuting and the option to include Class 1 business use where required (business use for policyholder only)
- Windscreen replacement excess of £80
- Telematics app additional excess for journeys where the insured vehicle is not recorded by the telematics app : £500 accidental damage, fire and theft claims
Drivers qualifying criteria
- Must be aged 19-80 at start of policy. Dependant on age and driving experience, cover will vary as follows:
- Main drivers aged 19-24 at start of policy will require a telematics app (only available on iOS and Android) and must have held full UK or EU Licence for
2 or more years
- Main drivers aged 25-80 at start of policy will not require a telematics app
- Must be the first registered keeper of the vehicle
Named drivers (maximum of 2 permitted):
- Must be a minimum of 21 years old at start of policy for telematics cover
- Must be a minimum of 25 years old at start of policy for non-telematics cover
- Must be a maximum of 80 years old at start of policy.
All drivers must:
- Be private individuals only
- Hold a current, full UK or EU Licence for a minimum of 1 year (19-24 year olds must have held a full UK or EU licence for a minimum of 2 years)
- Have been resident in England, Scotland or Wales for a minimum of 2 years
- Not have any minor convictions or fixed penalty notices within the last 3 years except for offence codes
MW, PC, PL, SP, TS where a maximum of 3 points is allowed. To check the definitions of offence codes you can visit
- Not have been disqualified from driving or had their licence revoked for any reason within the last 5 years
- Not have a fault or theft claim within the last 3 years, excluding windscreen claims
- Not have a non-motoring related conviction
- Not have been previously declined insurance or had an insurance contract cancelled
Vehicle qualifying criteria
- Available for new Volkswagen up! beats built to the manufacturers UK specification and sold via an authorised Volkswagen UK retailer only
- The vehicle must not have been modified other than official optional extras fitted and sold by manufacturer or Volkswagen UK retailer at date of purchase
- The vehicle must not be used for hiring of the vehicle, for carrying goods or passengers for reward
Additional terms and conditions
- NIL premium refund or cash equivalent if the policy is cancelled before renewal
- One year’s free insurance policies cannot be used in conjunction with any other insurance promotional offers, including Complimentary 5 Day Insurance
- No claims discount (NCD) cannot be 'protected' during the period of the offer but can be protected at renewal
If you do not fully understand these terms and conditions or require any further information,
please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0333 043 1294.
Telematics app: main drivers who have held a licence for 2 or more years+
How does the telematics app work?
The app uses telematics technology and acts as a ‘black box’ to measure various aspects of your driving style such as speed,
acceleration, braking, cornering, swerving and usage patterns. We then take this information and sort it into three categories – Speed,
Smoothness and Usage. These are then combined to give you an overall Driving Style score. Using the app you will be able to keep track of your
Driving Style score.
Do I have to download the app to benefit from this offer?
Yes. It is a condition of your Volkswagen Insurance policy that you download the app within 24 hours of your cover start date and
agree to share your driving style data with us for every journey you make in your car.
It is therefore also a policy condition that you keep your phone with you when driving – any accidents which
occur during any journeys when the app is not running will be subject to an additional excess of £500.
Please see your Cover Booklet for full details.
Where do I download the telematics app from?
The Volkswagen Insurance Telematics app is free to download and is available on
iOS and Android. You can download the app via the link contained in your confirmation of cover email or by visiting the
or the Google Play Store.
How do I link the telematics app to my policy?
Once you have activated your Volkswagen Insurance policy, you will receive an email with your app login details.
You have 24 hours from your cover start date to download,
register and pair the app to your up! beats Bluetooth or your insurance may be cancelled.
Once you have linked the app to your policy it is important that you take your phone with you for every car journey, switched on to ensure that your driving style data is recorded.
If I have named drivers on my policy will they have to download the app?
Yes, any journeys undertaken by you or the named drivers will incur an additional £500 excess if you have an accident without the telematics app operating.
Once you have added any named drivers to your insurance policy they will be listed in the named drivers section of your app.
You will need to enter the email addresses of the named drivers and they will then be sent details on how to download and login to the app.
How much data will the app use?
The app will consume approximately 4MB of data per month (based on average use of 10,000 miles per year).
Higher mileage users should find that the app consumes only a small fraction of even the most limited mobile phone data plans.
If I have changed my smartphone do I have to re-install the app?
Yes, if you have changed your smartphone please download the app again and
login using the details we emailed you after you activated your policy. Follow the steps on screen to re-connect the app to your up! beats Bluetooth.
I have not received my app login details. What do I do?
After activating your insurance policy you will receive an email with your app login details, if you have not received these details please contact us.
Telephone: 0333 043 1294
What is the level of cover provided?
The level of cover provided under the up! beats One Year’s Free Insurance offer is comprehensive.
Will I be insured to drive other cars?
No, cover excludes driving any other cars. Only the insured vehicle is covered.
Can I protect my No Claims Bonus?
Your No Claims Discount (NCD) cannot be protected during the period of this cover but can be protected at renewal.
Can I add a named driver at any time?
Yes, you can add a named driver (maximum of 2) at any time during the year’s cover, as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.
How much is the excess?
The standard excess for drivers with a telematics app is £150 for accidental damage,
fire and theft claims in addition to the following young driver excess:
- £300 for drivers aged 19-20
- £200 for drivers aged 21-24
The standard excess for non-telematics is £250 for accidental damage, fire and theft claims.
Will I be charged an administration fee to make changes to my policy?
No administration charge is applied for changes made after your cover start date.
What class of use is covered?
The class of use covered is Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Commuting (SDP&C) as
well as the option to include Class 1 Business Use where required.
SDP&C is when you use the car for general day to day appointments
(not connected to your employment), visiting family and friends, shopping.
It also includes commuting to and from your single permanent place of work.
Class 1 Business Use covers travelling to and from more than one location
for business purposes. Business use is only applicable to the policyholder.
How will I receive my policy documents?
Your policy documents will be sent to the email address you provided when activating your cover.
How many named drivers can I have on my policy?
You can add up to 2 named drivers, subject to the eligibility criteria. All drivers must hold a current,
full UK or EU licence for a minimum of 1 year. Named drivers must also be a minimum of 21 years old at the start of the
policy for telematics cover and a minimum of 25 years old at start of policy for non-telematics cover.
What if I want to cancel my policy?
You can cancel your policy by telephone, email or post using the contact details below.
Telephone: 0333 043 1294
Post: Volkswagen Motor Insurance, Global House, Westmere Drive, Crewe Business Park, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 6ZD.
What happens if I change my car?
Your policy is not transferable to another vehicle and you must notify us immediately if you change your vehicle.
How do I change any of my personal details?
Please contact our customer support team on 0333 043 1294 to change any of your details.
How do I report an incident?
Call the 24-Hour Claims Helpline on 0333 043 1294. A dedicated Claims Manager will manage your claim from start to finish.
Volkswagen Financial Services is a trading name of Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited (“VWFS UK”), registered in England and
Wales No.2835230. Registered office: Brunswick Court, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes MK14 5LR.
VWFS UK is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), registration number 311988.
Volkswagen Motor Insurance from Volkswagen Financial Services is arranged and administered by Carrot Risk Technologies Limited,
registered in England and Wales No. 07771243 (registered office: Global House, Westmere Drive, Crewe Business Park, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 6ZD).
Carrot Risk Technologies Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 610895.
Authorisation details can be checked on the FCA's register at fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768.