There are 3 different ways to benefit from cover depending on your age and driving experience.
A telematics device* (also known as a 'black box') will be installed in your new Volkswagen Polo
- Main driver aged 18-24 - must have held a full driving licence for between 1 and 2 years
- Named drivers aged 21-80 – must have held a full driving licence for 1 or more years
A telematics insurance app*
- Main driver aged 18-24 - must have held a full driving licence for 2 or more years
- Named drivers aged 21-80 – must have held a full driving licence for 1 or more years
The Volkswagen Insurance Telematics app must be downloaded by all drivers to their mobile device and remain paired with your new Polo’s Bluetooth within 24 hours of the start date of your Volkswagen motor insurance
- All drivers aged 25-80 – must have held a full driving licence for 1 or more years
*Polo BlueGT and GTI models are excluded for drivers aged 18-24
Telematics – helping to keep you safe
Using the latest telematics technology, the telematics product will monitor your driving style, including speed, smoothness and usage.
Using this information, we will alert you to any instances of speeding and give you the opportunity to change your driving behaviour. In the event of persistent and excessive speeding your policy may be cancelled. More details and the full cancellation terms and conditions can be found in your Cover Booklet.
Terms and Conditions
Available on all qualifying new Volkswagen Polo's ordered from 1st July 2016 to 30th September 2016 and
registered by 10th January 2017 for residents of England, Scotland and Wales only.
- Standard excess for telematics device and app: £150 for accidental damage,
fire and theft claims in addition to the following young driver excess: £300 for drivers aged 18-20, £200 for drivers aged 21-24
- Standard excess for non-telematics: £250 for accidental damage, fire and theft claims
- Cover excludes driving other cars
- Use Social, Domestic, Pleasure & Commuting and the option to include Class 1 business use where required (business use for policyholder only)
- Windscreen replacement excess of £80
- Telematics app additional excess for journeys where the insured vehicle is not recorded by the telematics app : £500 accidental damage, fire and theft claims
Drivers qualifying criteria
- Must be aged 18-80 at start of policy. Dependant on age and driving experience, cover will vary as follows:
- Main drivers aged 18-24 at start of policy with current, full UK or EU Licence held for between 1 and 2 years will require a telematics device
- Main drivers aged 18-24 at start of policy with current, full UK or EU Licence held for 2 or more years will require a telematics app (only available on iOS and Android)
- Main drivers aged 25-80 at start of policy will not require a telematics device or app
- Must be first registered keeper of the vehicle
Named drivers (maximum of 2 permitted):
- Must be a minimum of 21 years old at start of policy for telematics cover
- Must be a minimum of 25 years old at start of policy for non-telematics cover
- Must be a maximum of 80 years old at start of policy.
All drivers must:
- Be private individuals only
- Hold a current, full UK or EU Licence for a minimum of 1 year
- Have been resident in England, Scotland or Wales for a minimum of 2 years
- Not have any minor convictions or fixed penalty notices within the last 3 years except for offence codes
MW, PC, PL, SP, TS where a maximum of 3 points is allowed. To check the definitions of offence codes you can visit
- Not have been disqualified from driving or had their licence revoked for any reason within the last 5 years
- Not have a fault or theft claim within the last 3 years, excluding windscreen claims
- Not have a non-motoring related conviction
- Not have been previously declined insurance or had an insurance contract cancelled
Vehicle qualifying criteria
- Available for new Volkswagen Polo’s built to the manufacturers UK specification and sold via an authorised Volkswagen UK retailer
- Polo BlueGT and GTI models are excluded for drivers aged 18-24
- The vehicle must not have been modified other than official optional extras fitted and sold by manufacturer or Volkswagen UK retailer at date of purchase
- The vehicle must not be used for hiring of the vehicle, for carrying goods or passengers for reward
Additional terms and conditions
- NIL premium refund or cash equivalent if the policy is cancelled before renewal
- One year’s insurance included policies cannot be used in conjunction with any other insurance promotional offers, including Complimentary 5 Day Insurance
- No claims discount (NCD) cannot be 'protected' during the period of the offer but can be protected at renewal
If you do not fully understand these terms and conditions or require any further information,
please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0333 043 1294.
Telematics device: main drivers who have held a licence for between 1 and 2 years
What is ‘Telematics’?
Telematics is the transmission of data over long distances using a device similar in size to a
mobile phone and using similar technology to a mobile phone to relay information to a computer.
The telematics device is installed in your car to collect and send information about your driving style.
We then take this information and sort it into three categories – Speed, Smoothness and Usage.
These are then combined to give you an overall Driving Style score.
You can keep track of your Driving Style score via your personal dashboard.
What data does the telematics device record?
The device that gets installed in your Volkswagen Polo transmits data about various aspects of your driving style, such as speed,
acceleration, braking, cornering, swerving and usage patterns. The device also uses 'black box' telematics technology to enable your car's
GPS location to be identified in the unfortunate event that your car gets stolen.
When is the telematics device installed?
After you have activated your insurance policy we will contact your Volkswagen Retailer to arrange the
installation of the telematics device before your collect your new Polo. In the event that this is not possible before your
collection date we will contact you to arrange a convenient time for one of our engineers to come and fit the telematics device
within 14 days of the start of your policy.
What information will I be able to see about my driving style?
You will be able to see your current weekly score and the data recorded for the last 20 journeys you have made.
The information includes the time of day and your scores for Speed, Smoothness and Usage as well as your Driving Style score for each journey.
How do I access my dashboard?
Once you have activated your one year’s included Volkswagen Insurance policy and the telematics device has been installed in your Polo,
you will receive an email with your dashboard login details. If you have not received this, please contact us.
Telephone: 0333 043 1294
Will my insurance be at risk if I break the speed limits?
Persistent and excessive speeding may lead to your Volkswagen Insurance policy being cancelled.
View full cancellation terms in the Cover Booklet.
If I had an accident and the telematics device got damaged, would I need to pay for a new device?
As the telematics device is usually fitted behind the dashboard inside the vehicle cabin,
the chances of it getting badly damaged in a crash would be minimal. If the device did need to be replaced,
the cost of a new device would be classed as a repair cost, which would be covered by your Volkswagen Insurance policy.
Telematics app: main drivers who have held a licence for 2 or more years
How does the telematics app work?
The app uses telematics technology and acts as a ‘black box’ to measure various aspects of your driving style such as speed,
acceleration, braking, cornering, swerving and usage patterns. We then take this information and sort it into three categories – Speed,
Smoothness and Usage. These are then combined to give you an overall Driving Style score. Using the app you will be able to keep track of your
Driving Style score.
Do I have to download the app to benefit from this offer?
Yes. It is a condition of your Volkswagen Insurance policy that you download the app within 24 hours of your cover start date and
agree to share your driving style data with us for every journey you make in your car.
It is therefore also a policy condition that you keep your phone with you when driving – any accidents which
occur during any journeys when the app is not running will be subject to an additional excess of £500.
Please see your Cover Booklet for full details.
Where do I download the telematics app from?
The Volkswagen Insurance Telematics app is free to download and is available on
iOS and Android. You can download the app via the link contained in your confirmation of cover email or by visiting the
or the Google Play Store.
How do I link the telematics app to my policy?
Once you have activated your Volkswagen Insurance policy, you will receive an email with your app login details.
You have 24 hours from your cover start date to download,
register and pair the app to your Volkswagen Polo’s Bluetooth or your insurance may be cancelled.
Once you have linked the app to your policy it is important that you take your phone with you for every car journey, switched on to ensure that your driving style data is recorded.
If I have named drivers on my policy will they have to download the app?
Yes, any journeys undertaken by you or the named drivers will incur an additional £500 excess if you have an accident without the telematics app operating.
Once you have added any named drivers to your insurance policy they will be listed in the named drivers section of your app.
You will need to enter the email addresses of the named drivers and they will then be sent details on how to download and login to the app.
How much data will the app use?
The app will consume approximately 4MB of data per month (based on average use of 10,000 miles per year).
Higher mileage users should find that the app consumes only a small fraction of even the most limited mobile phone data plans.
If I have changed my smartphone do I have to re-install the app?
Yes, if you have changed your smartphone please download the app again and
login using the details we emailed you after you activated your policy. Follow the steps on screen to re-connect the app to your Polo’s Bluetooth.
I have not received my app login details. What do I do?
After activating your insurance policy you will receive an email with your app login details, if you have not received these details please contact us.
Telephone: 0333 043 1294
What is the level of cover provided?
The level of cover provided under the Polo One Year’s Insurance Included offer is comprehensive.
Will I be insured to drive other cars?
No, cover excludes driving any other cars. Only the insured vehicle is covered.
Can I protect my No Claims Bonus?
Your No Claims Discount (NCD) cannot be protected during the period of this cover but can be protected at renewal.
Can I add a named driver at any time?
Yes, you can add a named driver (maximum of 2) at any time during the year’s cover, as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.
How much is the excess?
The standard excess for drivers with a telematics device and app is £150 for accidental damage,
fire and theft claims in addition to the following young driver excess:
- £300 for drivers aged 18-20
- £200 for drivers aged 21-24
The standard excess for non-telematics is £250 for accidental damage, fire and theft claims.
Will I be charged an administration fee to make changes to my policy?
No administration charge is applied for changes made after your cover start date.
What class of use is covered?
The class of use covered is Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Commuting (SDP&C) as
well as the option to include Class 1 Business Use where required.
SDP&C is when you use the car for general day to day appointments
(not connected to your employment), visiting family and friends, shopping.
It also includes commuting to and from your single permanent place of work.
Class 1 Business Use covers travelling to and from more than one location
for business purposes. Business use is only applicable to the policyholder.
How will I receive my policy documents?
Your policy documents will be sent to the email address you provided when activating your cover.
How many named drivers can I have on my policy?
You can add up to 2 named drivers, subject to the eligibility criteria. All drivers must hold a current,
full UK or EU licence for a minimum of 1 year. Named drivers must also be a minimum of 21 years old at the start of the
policy for telematics cover and a minimum of 25 years old at start of policy for non-telematics cover.
What if I want to cancel my policy?
You can cancel your policy by telephone, email or post using the contact details below. Following cancellation,
if you have had a telematics device fitted to your Polo it will no longer report data, however if you would like the device to be
removed there will be a £50 fee.
Telephone: 0333 043 1294
Post: Volkswagen Motor Insurance, Global House, Westmere Drive, Crewe Business Park, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 6ZD.
What happens if I change my car?
Your policy is not transferable to another vehicle and you must notify us immediately if you change your vehicle.
How do I change any of my personal details?
Please contact our customer support team on 0333 043 1294 to change any of your details.
How do I report an incident?
Call the 24-Hour Claims Helpline on 0333 043 1294. A dedicated Claims Manager will manage your claim from start to finish.
Volkswagen Financial Services is a trading name of Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited (“VWFS UK”), registered in England and
Wales No.2835230. Registered office: Brunswick Court, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes MK14 5LR.
VWFS UK is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), registration number 311988.
Volkswagen Motor Insurance from Volkswagen Financial Services is arranged and administered by Carrot Risk Technologies Limited,
registered in England and Wales No. 07771243 (registered office: Global House, Westmere Drive, Crewe Business Park, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 6ZD).
Carrot Risk Technologies Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 610895.
Authorisation details can be checked on the FCA's register at fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768.